Since 1988, the Ithacan Philanthropic Society has been presenting VCE Awards to the children of members. This initiative, proposed by former Executive Committee member Panoyiannis Raftopoulos at an Annual General Meeting in 1987, recognises the successful completion of secondary schooling by young persons of Ithacan descent and provides them with bursaries to assist with the costs of future study and training.
Initially, two bursaries were presented to the two VCE graduates with the highest ATAR. In 1995, it was decided to reward all eligible VCE graduates with a bursary. Since then, the awards have been extended to eligible graduates of the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP) and the Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL).
In 2018, the VCE Awards were renamed the Year 12 Awards, in recognition of the range of year 12 options now available within the Victorian education system.
Each year applications are called for through the Odysseus Newspaper, eBulletin and the Society’s website.
Year 12 Awards available
Eligible students may apply for one of the following awards:
The Panoyiannis Raftopoulos Awards
These Awards are co-sponsored by the Ithacan Philanthropic Society and Dr Spearos Raftopoulos, son of the late Panoyiannis Raftopoulos.
- Two bursaries valued at $1500 each awarded to the two students with the highest ATAR.
- Applicants for this award will automatically be granted an Ithacan Philanthropic Society Award if their application for a Panoyiannis Raftopoulos Award is not successful.
The Ithacan Philanthropic Society Awards
- Bursaries valued at $500 each awarded to eligible applicants who have successfully completed Year 12.
- The Year 12 Awards are available to the children of Active Members (not Social Members) of the Ithacan Philanthropic Society. A parent must have been a financial Active Member for a minimum of two years prior to the year of submitting an application for an award. Children of deceased members are eligible to apply.
- Applicants for the Year 12 Awards must have successfully completed:
- the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE)
- the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program (IBDP)
the Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL) Senior
For the Panoyiannis Raftopoulos Awards, a minimum ATAR of 85 is required.
VCAL applicants must have completed VCAL at the Year 12 level (Senior VCAL).
- The applicant must have successfully completed their VCE/IBDP/VCAL in the year prior to the presentation of the Year 12 awards.
- CLICK HERE to download Year 12 Awards Application Form
Applicants can for only one of the two awards available. Applicants for the Panoyiannis Raftopoulos Awards will automatically be granted an Ithacan Philanthropic Society Award if their application for a Panoyiannis Raftopoulos Award is not successful.
The applicant and parent Active Member must complete and sign the relevant declarations. Where the parent member is deceased, a current Active Member of the Society should sign the parent member declaration.
Applications should be submitted following the receipt of Round 1 Course Offers
The required documentation (see Documentation required below) must be submitted with the application.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 31 January in the year following the completion of the VCE/IBD/VCAL.
Panoyiannis Raftopoulos Award:
- A photocopy or scanned copy of the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC) certification of the ATAR (or notional ATAR in the case of IBDP students) must be forwarded with the application. This information will be kept strictly confidential unless otherwise agreed.
Ithacan Philanthropic Society Award:
- A photocopy or scanned copy of the relevant Year 12 Certificate must be forwarded with the application:
- The Victorian Certificate of Education or the Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning issued by the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority
- The International Baccalaureate Diploma issued by the IB Curriculum and Assessment Office
- It is not necessary to provide the ATAR or notional ATAR score.
Presentation of Awards
Awards will be presented at a function to be held at the Society’s Clubrooms.